Early Learning (Ages 3-6)
Fall in love with learning
Young children learn and develop at different rates and in different ways. The Early Learning (EL) Programme allows for learning to match each student’s needs. Our teachers anchor learning goals for each child around their interests and individual progress. This means children develop a natural passion for learning and are empowered to nourish their natural curiosity.
Our EL curriculum balances learning through play, directed teacher guidance and carefully planned learning experiences. This curriculum follows the Primary Years framework of the International Baccalaureate (IB) and is staffed by qualified teachers who understand how to best support early childhood development. Additional faculty for Art, German and Physical Education compliment classroom teachers plus teaching assistants in these specific subjects.
Learning in an international environment, with many different nationalities represented, offers a rich and inspiring experience for all the children.
Early Learning classrooms resemble a beehive. This might sound loud or look messy, but if you tune in more closely you will notice that children are inspired and deeply engaged in their learning.
Early Learning 3/4
Our 3 and 4 year old students learn together in a mixed age setting, with each child assigned to a specific teacher. Based on their learning needs, interests and developmental levels, children work and play in different groups throughout the day.
While leaving plenty of time for independent inquiry, fun and adventure, EL 3/4 students receive daily direct instruction in social skills, phonics, literacy and mathematics for short periods of time.
Teachers track the progress of each child and develop individual plans for future development. Parents receive regular and timely written updates as well as photos and video of their children at work.
Early Learning 5
EL 5 is a transition year maintaining the fun and play that helps children learn while gradually introducing the skills needed for entry into Grade 1. Every school day integrates mathematics, reading and writing workshops and short instruction sessions in phonics. The time spent in instruction sessions increases throughout the school year so that students are able to concentrate and participate in activities for longer periods of time.
If you require more information about the Early Years Programme at BIS, please do not hesitate to contact the PYP Coordinator, Casey Ranson.
- After school care for Early Learning students available in the Kidz Klub, where children can remain on school grounds up to 18:00 during school term.
- Classes taught in English with additional language support for students whose first language is not English.
- German lessons based on narratives and story-telling. These correlate closely to the work done to broaden English language skills.
- Parents regularly informed about the development of their child and encouraged to be active participants in the school community.
- Admission into the EL Programmes is determined by date of birth. As soon as children turn 3 years old, we invite them to enter our EL3/4 Programme.
- Children must be toilet-trained before they enter EL Programmes.
EL through the year
Take a peak at just some examples of how we learn through the year.