BIS rests on a beautiful campus nestled in a green suburb of the City of Bonn.
Our geographic neighbors include the Rhine River, a residential area under historic preservation protection, and the city's largest recreational park. The setting brings to life the rich natural and cultural traditions of Germany and wider Europe.
It is also an ideal, safe environment for children.
Where we learn
The Waves building is the heart of our Primary School, containing most of the classrooms for Early Learning to Grade 5 students. This colorful, distinctive building also houses our 40,000 volume Media Center, well-resourced science laboratories, Design and Product workshops and a sports hall. Our cafeteria is located in the centre of Waves, offering warm lunches and snacks prepared on-site.
The Agora and Crest buildings are home to Secondary students and their studies. In addition to 40 light-filled, modern classrooms, these buildings contain music rooms, art studios and a kiln, a learning support suite, competitive sports facility, exam rooms and a senior lounge. The Agora is known for the flags celebrating the nationalities of each country represented in our student body.
An extensive IT infrastructure supports our technology and research curriculum. Age-appropriate playgrounds give our students plenty of space to run and play.
Easy to reach
BIS is easily accessible on public transportation or by car, bike, or foot. Extensive bike and walking paths connect BIS to all areas of Bonn. Local buses stop only a few minutes walk from our school entrance and connect with Bonn's main stations. Tram stops are about 10 - 15 minutes from school.
Top 7 campus surprises
- Most of our students live within a 3 kilometer radius of BIS and either walk or ride their bikes to school. Half of our car park has been redesignated to accommodate a growing number of cyclists.
- 20% of our electricity consumption is generated by solar panels. BIS has been a part of UNFCCC Carbon Neutral Now since 2016.
- BIS sits next to Bonn's largest park of more than 300 acres and directly across the river from Bonn's Seven Hills, the site of the Dragon Castle and other famous ruins.
- Our campus measures 32,470 square meters, averaging 46 square meters per student to learn, play and run around.
- BIS facilities are open until 21:00 so that parents and staff members can play sports after work through our sports association.
- Our on-site caterer is excellent and cooks more than 400 fresh lunches per day during school term.
- The sound of music is often heard in our Agora building as students love to play the piano in the open lounge spaces.