Once you decide to join BIS, a variety of programmes and people will be available to support you. Our goal is to help your family join in school life and become acquainted with Bonn as quickly as possible.
During the summer months before school starts, the our Welcome Family team reaches out to new families. If desired, this team will put new families in touch with others at BIS who come from the same country, live in the same neighborhood or have children the same ages. New parents receive their access credentials for the internal login section of the website before school starts. Lists of extracurricular sports and activities, the detailed school calendar and a host of other information can be found in this section so that new families can familiarize themselves with different aspects of school before arrival.
Orientation Day is held the day before school starts in August. During this day, families are welcomed by school leadership and given practical information to get started. New students meet their teachers and become familiar with their classrooms and daily routines. Secondary School students are greeted by BIS student ambassadors who introduce our newcomes to our school. A variety of staff members and volunteers are also on hand to provide information on a host of activities and services – from extracurricular activities to technology, catering and counseling. Whatever questions that come up after Orientation can be answered by Parent Volunteers and staff at the Help Desk held every morning the first week of school.
During the course of the school year, BIS continues to support families with a variety of activities:
- specific grade-level information sessions, explaining the curriculum and open for your feedback
- English and German classes held at BIS and open to all parents
- numerous social events, hosted by both the school and our Parent Volunteers
- Welcome Guide and community-only Facebook page to exchange information about doctors, services, pets, moving sales and issues outside of school
- sessions by our Counselors on topics as diverse as transition, positive discipline, anxiety and developing healthy habits