- Media Centre
Our kindergarten aged children benefit from a stimulating, challenging, purpose designed environment. We balance learning through play and directed teacher guidance. The Early Learning (EL) curriculum at BIS follows the Primary Years framework of the International Baccalaureate (IB).
Young children learn and develop at different rates and in different ways. The EL Programme allows for learning to match each student’s needs. Our students interact with other students with different interests, abilities and backgrounds. Most importantly, our students learn through guided play and inquiry.
Each EL teaching group is limited to 20 students and has an assigned teacher and fulltime teaching assistant. Parents are regularly provided feedback on their child’s progress. Our 3 and 4 year old students learn together in a mixed age setting. Each child is assigned to a specific teacher. Based on their learning needs, interests and developmental levels, children work and play in different groups throughout the day. Students are introduced to literacy, mathematics and phonics.
EL5 is a transition year. It maintains the fun and play that helps children learn while gradually extending their ability to concentrate and participate in organized activities. The time spent in instruction sessions increases throughout the school year so that our EL5 students leave Early Learning ready to thrive in Primary School.
Note: Early Learning classrooms resemble a beehive. This might sound loud or look messy, but if you tune in more closely you will notice that children are busy at their work and deeply involved in their learning.
Our students grow through structured play and guided learning:
At BIS we believe that inquiry is a powerful tool to learn about the world around us. We nurture each child’s natural curiosity. In all our activities we acknowledge differences in developmental stage, as well as cultural and linguistic background. Learning in an international environment, with many different nationalities represented, offers a rich and advantageous experience for all the children.
Early Learning 3/4
While having plenty of time for fun and adventure, EL 3/4 students receive daily direct instruction in social skills, phonics, literacy and mathematics for short periods of time. Teachers track the progress of each child and develop individual plans for future development. Parents receive regular and timely written updates.
Early Learning 5
EL 5 is a transition year maintaining the fun and play that helps children learn while gradually introducing the skills needed for entry into Grade 1. Every school day integrates mathematics, reading and writing workshops and short instruction sessions in phonics. The time spent in instruction sessions increases throughout the school year so that students are able to concentrate and participate in activities for longers periods of time.
If you require more information about the Early Years Programme at BIS, please do not hesitate to contact the PYP Coordinator, Elizabeth Winkler.
- Separate classes for children aged 3-4 (EL3/4) and 5 years old (EL5).
- Classes taught in English with additional language support for students whose first language is not English.
- German lessons based on narratives and story-telling. These correlate closely to the work done to broaden English language skills.
- Parents regularly informed about the development of their child and encouraged to be active participants in the school community.
- Both the EL3/4 and EL5 program hours fit the Primary School time-table (Monday-Friday: 8:20–15:20).
- EL children ca opt to attend an after school Kids Fun Club program, where children can remain on school grounds up to 18:00 (please see Login - EC Activities).
- Admission into the EL Programmes is determined by birthdate. As soon as children turn 3 years old, we invite them to enter our EL3/4 programme.
- Children must be toilet-trained before they enter EL Programmes.